2013년 2월 13일 수요일

what a "feminine" hobby-- but no guilt here!


My favorite pass-time activity is to make jewelry. I got into this for a ridiculous reason: I had just gotten married+ had taken a semester off because I was done with coursework and wanted a break from everything+ needed to prep for the awful exam called, yes, the frigging GRE. And in the midst of all that, I needed to move my hands and create something that is actually tangible. Things I can touch. So, I took up beading. :) It is actually a very useful hobby, because I can create my own, and not go all about the town looking for a pair of earrings I want. And I get to share my creations with close friends-- I think a lot of my friends own a piece of my work by now, some, several. :)

The above bracelet is one I made in the beginning of the semester when I still had some time on my hands....ish. I never have time on my hands...but I did manage to squeeze out some time of the evening to sit, and bead.  


There was a time in my life when I had a friend who would constantly tell me that I am too "feminine" to be a feminist. What the f*ck. And because I respected that friend (for some reason or another), I stressed out about it. According to her, I should not wear makeup, should not pay so much attention to what I wear, and not buy so many earrings. (sigh.) Oh, and my changing nail colors every now and then, was a sign of vanity! Yeah? Yeah!? I guess her model of a feminist, was a tomboy-ish figure who never wears makeup (because, of course, that would be to dollify and objectify yourself for the, oh, yes, the MEN), wears non-feminine clothes (what are those anyway? bulky jeans that will hide your shape? What if I like that shape?), and never accessorize. Because that's B-A-D. Yeah, Right.  I'm just glad that this friend was not a close friend, but a distant one (who I met online, initially, because we joined the same web community of sorts) I eventually drifted away from. 


As time went by, I realized that her attacks were just signs of jealousy. She was seeing someone, and it was not working out because he wanted her to be more "feminine" (what a dunce-- if you don't like who you are dating, just date some other feminine girl, you ass!). And I never worry about my appearances anymore-- I don't really care. I've come to terms with what I am and how I dress, and how I present myself in public. I like it the way it is, and I do not think, that my so-called femininity lessens me in any way. And I say, feminism should not be about scoffing, but about celebrating. If there was anyone to be scrutinized, it was her stupid boyfriend who was trying to press my friend into an uber-feminine mold, not me. And besides...I wasn't that feminine to begin with! perhaps compared to her, yes. But not really. Duh, again. And besides, who says that feminists can't wear lipstick? Now I think about it, maybe it had something to do with her age as well. She was older, and maybe, just to justify her ideas a little, was more of the first wave of feminists. Maybe. I can't tell, since we never really talked about it seriously.

Oh, and by the way, these earrings are extra-feminine, for days when I, even in my extremely short hairdo, want to appear a little more lovely. 

 This one, is not really for me, because I don't do pastel tones as well. I'll be bringing those to class tomorrow, if anyone is interested. :)
Same with the two items below. I just made them over winter break--and they are totally available, if you want them! :)


Tomorrow is Valentines day, and I plan to wear makeup + earrings + whatever else I feel like wearing, and I plan on being a feminist for life. And I declare! I will be making cookies for my lovely partner (who is at the moment, sleeping--he literally passed out after mumbling, I'm so sleeeeepy....), and I will still remain a feminist! :p So there!

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기