2013년 2월 27일 수요일

I have many names:)


One of my dear friends from back home, who is right now in the States, is pondering on taking on a new name that is easier for people to pronounce and remember. And a comment on her fb page got me thinking. The comment was, that she should make people learn to say her name and to remember it correctly. And yes, that makes sense. But sometimes, people just can't do it right! It's no fun, having to correct your friends all the time-- what if they get embarrassed, and stop calling you by name altogether? (I'm being extreme here, but you get the picture.) 

When I first got here, I just came up with a new name for myself. It was kind of like picking a nom de plume, or a nickname to use online. (And online, I go by many different names-- on another blog which I write mostly in Korean, I'm called "navi" which means butterfly) It wasn't that of a big deal-- I wasn't giving up my name, but creating a new one for me. And besides, I wanted my students to call me by name, and there was absolutely no chance of their not botching up my name. So, volla! I had a new name. The name is, Jade. When I told my adviser that I have a Korean name and an English one, I think it got her thinking about the politics of naming. You know, how the English speaking world imposes an English name on non-American/British people. And I agree, that names are extremely important. There is a reason why Rochester renames Antoinette, calling her Bertha, in Rhys's Wide Sargasso Sea! But my reasoning behind my renaming of myself is this (And I think the friend I mentioned, agrees in fact, she does-- she stated this on her fb wall) : This is not a name that has been imposed on me by someone powerful-- say, a colonizer. I admit that the need  to come up with a new name can be, in itself, problematic, but let me just be honest here. I'd rather have you call me by my new name, than have to correct you, or cringe when you say the name. I think the only person I met at Purdue who pronounced my name right, right off the bat, was frozendry. :) (Kudos!)  I'd rather be called by a name of my choice. Which I like. And besides, when you don't know how to pronounce a name, you tend not to remember that person. Just think about how difficult it is to keep track of characters in Russian literature--! Before I named myself, people called me Joo. (and just omitted the second syllable of my full name) I mean-- it is a cute kind of name, and no blames on people who do call me that (my love goes to my friends I met in Iowa), but I felt that it was the time to make a move away from the childhood nickname ("Joo" was the name I got in an ESL course when I was a child-- I think I was 12. The funny thing is, my sisters are all called Joo, because our names begin with the same letter!!!!!). So, there. 

Oh, and just for fun, here's some information on the stone I named myself after!


Jade

Jade is an ancient stone that has historically been used to attract love. Carved into a butterfly, in China it is a powerful symbol used to draw love.
Jade can be used to bring money into your life. Create a positive attitude towards money and visualize yourself using money creatively and productively while holding the stone in your power hand. When making an important business decision, use the prosperous energies of jade by holding it while contemplating your course of action. Jade strengthens your mental faculties and assists in clear reasoning.
Jade is also a protective stone, guarding against accidents and misfortune. Place a piece of jade between two purple candles and let the candles burn for a short while. Then carry the jade with you as a protection amulet.

Symbol of successful love

A butterfly carved from jade holds a special romantic significance. Ancient Chinese legend tells of a youth who wandered into the garden of a wealthy mandarin in pursuit of a multi-colored butterfly. Instead of being punished for trespassing, his visit led to marriage with the mandarin's daughter.
Today, a jade butterfly symbolizes successful love.


Healing properties of Jade

The soothing green color of jade makes it a wonderful healing stone. It helps the body in self-healing while working through underlying, non-physical reasons for a precipitation for disease. It is particularly helpful for kidney, heart and stomach complaints.


And that's my stone:) (although it's not my birthstone!)

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기