2013년 2월 15일 금요일

Happy to Thrift


Ever since I can't even remember when, I loved to find treasures at flea markets and thrift shops. I still love going to Goodwill for that reason. I haven't been able to visit any flea markets here though-- if anyone knows of a good flea market in Lafayette area, do tell. :)

The photo above is again, pictures from my honeymoon. This was in Belgium, Brussels. I forgot the name of the neighborhood, but I do remember that this flea market was an everyday market, from 7 to noon-ish. We would just stop by, and look at the miscellaneous objects put on random display, enjoying every nook and cranny of the market. See that owl bookend (it was tiny) in the first photograph? I wanted to buy that. (But decided against it, because it was the first week of our honeymoon, and did not want to start buying things right away. I would have loved to pick up a few of those beautifully kitsch plates (like the one with a blue flower in the third one), but pinched myself telling me to stop, because I knew that my sister would be able to make some for me.

In the end, what I did get at this flea market was an analogue camera. It was still working, so we bought a film and started taking pictures. The results of this camera? Awesome. I own two film cameras, and I love both, because for some reason (I guess the lenses are different), the results of the two are entirely different. One gives me splendidly vivid photos (and this one is the well known Canon F-1, which was my dad's, originally!), while the other (the one I bought here) gives me photos that resemble lomo pictures. Hmm...come to think of it, I think I gave the latter camera to my sister right before I moved here. I wonder what she's doing with it. If she's not doing anything with it...I might just take it back and bring it here. The sky here is just so perfect, I would love to take pictures of it with an analogue camera. I wonder how much films are here.

Anyways, I digressed.
I was going to talk about thrifting and upcycling...
So, thrifting. It's for me, a cheap way of buying great things, and a way of saving(?) the earth. I prefer purchasing used items, because it feels great to know that by doing so, I'm consuming but at the same time, letting the lifespan of that item become a little longer. Sometimes, trying to guess the story of the item I choose to include in my life is also fun. (it's more fun with items you bring from a flea market, rather than Goodwill, for some reason. I don't know why, but that's how it is for me.)

Here's a photo of my skirt from a vintage shop in Seoul. :)
My mom used to hate this, but I saved it from her discerning eyes (and hands, that will throw things out mercilessly!), and managed to bring it all the way here! It can be worn as a long skirt or a tube top skirt.


And that sweater I am wearing, is from Goodwill!
I got this for 1.5 $, and it was an exceptionally great price because I got it at Goodwill when everything was on sale. I mean, how cheaper can you get a sweater? And it has lots of cashmere in it, it's extremely warm, and it is colorful. Just my kind of sweater. I think the original owner of the sweater must have gotten it while traveling. The tag is written in a language I can't quite decipher, and it also says, made in Hong Kong. (Oh, and I think Goodwill has sales like this on the first Saturday of every month. If you want things extra cheap, that's when you should go!)

I can't believe how I seem to never run out of random stuff to say.

ps. I didn't quite get around to talking about upcycling in this post. I will talk about it later:)
2. 15. 2013




댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기