2013년 2월 9일 토요일

happy lunar new year



Happy  New Lunar Year!
The photo is of me, wearing the traditional dress for the new years. :)

Today is new lunar year back home-- I should probably call my family back home this evening (and their morning). We celebrate it by preparing some traditional dishes, like you do on Thanksgiving and Christmas with your family. Lunar new years holiday was a special time for me in my youth, for I would get to see my cousins who live in other cities and play with them without having to worry about homework. We, the "babies" of the family would get pampered by our grandpa, who would always buy us junk food our parents would disapprove of (Yay, granpa!), and take us on nice strolls in the neighborhood. After the fun stroll, we would all rush back into a little room that was always "reserved" for the kids-- that tiny little room no one really cares about, you know--and have the best time ever. We would put a blanket over the clothes drying thingie (what do you call those?) and pretend that it's our "tent". We would eat the snacks we managed to sneak away from the prohibiting hands of our mothers, in this cozy "tent." And play childish games, with one team playing the detective while the others take on the role of criminals. I remember how my sister would always get mad at me, because I would prefer always, to be teamed not with her, but with my cousins. She would yell, "You don't love me! You love her!" and let me confess here right now: I didn't love her less, but I did enjoy the company of my cousin more just then and there. Come on sis, I see you every day, and I see her twice a year! Don't be jealous! And besides! She doesn't bother me as you do! (Now I have that out, whew!)

The memories of new years will sometimes bring a tear, because some people from those days are not with us anymore. Since Granny and Granpa are not with us anymore, we don't do the large family gathering. Several years ago, I also lost my childhood playmate-- one of my cousins joined our grandparents, due to leukemia. So, instead, Mom and Dad prepare a few traditional dishes, take it to their graves, and say their hellos and happy new years there. It's a ceremony of sorts back home, to remember and feed our ancestors before we start celebrating with living people. Paying homage, and to remind them-- we haven't forgotten about you. We know you are all up there, thinking of us and protecting us. Sometimes, they go there with my uncle (dad's little brother), or at other times, they just visit the graves separately. Last year, I joined them by calling them exactly when they had reached the spot, and luckily, uncle was there with my parents, so I got to say hello to him as well. Hopefully, granny and granpa knows that I miss them too. :)

Anyways, so, this day is for remembering and celebrating. I will remember my playful days with my cousin, and my jolly walks with my grandpa. And how granny would come to the little corner in which I would stay for hours, reading books. She once said-- and I think this was just before she fell seriously sick-- "are the books fun? tell me", and I just simply replied that she wouldn't understand. Spoiled little child! I also remember waking up to the voice of her singing...she would wake up so early in the morning, singing from her little brown book of hymns. And how she said she'd give me her ruby ring to me when I grow up. (I didn't get it-- what happened granny? I think someone else took it!)

And as for celebrating-- today is also my dad's 60th birthday! I sent him a package with tons of winter things-- a vest, a pair of gloves, a cashmere scarf, and a nice tie-- but this doesn't top my being there. So, I'm feeling really sorry. I mean, your 60th birthday comes only once a lifetime! I will call today, tell him happy birthday and happy new year, and remind him that we'll have a wonderful birthday party when I go back home in the summer.

But in the meantime, hey- happy lunar year, everyone! There won't be countdowns or anything, but if you live in a big city, I'll bet there's something going on in Chinatown nearby. :) Unfortunately, we don't have one in West Lafayette, so I'm just going to go and read my Dickens.

2013. 2. 9

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기