2013년 2월 2일 토요일

The Ethics of Photography?


 In my twenties, when someone asked what my hobbies were, I usually said that I love to travel and to take photos. I still like to do both, but as I hardly ever go traveling anywhere, it's not easy to "meet" a scene that really impresses me to the point that I can't help but press the button on my camera. Sure, I still take pictures while walking around if the weather is nice or the sky is blue, but photography is the more fun when you are at a new place, a non-home, "exotic" (and I put this in quotation marks because I   do not want to be an Orientalist or a slummer) place.

Taking photos of beautifully clothed people in India, or of impressively old buildings in European countries such as Prague or Budapest, was a hobby of mine. But I wonder. And I think I thought about this even when I was traveling. Was I an Orientalist? Was I "slumming" in India, in Rakitovo, in other various countries and cities I walked about with my camera? Was I not objectifying these people, framing their realities in an aesthetic kind of way, always behaving as the one behind the screen, as the one in control of the gaze? I complained of having been under the gaze of Indian men in my previous post, but wasn't I doing the same thing, intruding their everyday lives with my constant clickaclacks and flashes (although I rarely use the flash function) of my digital camera? What right did I have, a mere passer-by, to objectify these people under my view finder?

Come to think of it, the word view-finder, is rather ironic. What view? Oh, that view i found! Wasn't I reducing their reality to a piece of a "view" that I would take away with me, without their consent?


This picture was taken in Udaipur, a little set-up village sort of museum (?) for tourists. They were performing and telling us to take pictures, so I guess my "objectifying" of the dancer was not entirely a crime. We paid them some money after having seen their performance, clapped like crazy people, and my friend actually danced alongside this girl in the photo, because they wanted us to be a part of dance. And she was the only one who could dance- I am a terrible dancer, and JK was shy, so we nudged her to be brave and fun while lingering in the back, taking photos. We all laughed. They had a nice time with us, or at least, didn't object to spending time with us, showing their moves. So, it wasn't a crime exactly. Travelers always take pictures, especially at places like this. I wasn't the only one. I wasn't offending anyone. But still. it is something I should think about.

I love to take pictures of PEOPLE when I am traveling. Landscape photographs mean much for me, because I can always look at pictures taken by other travelers, or even buy postcards (oh, I should do a posting about postcards. I just read about them). So, here are two more pictures with Indian people in them. The photo was taken near Conut place (and again, spelling is probably wrong), of ladies selling beautifully crafted quilts. I wanted to buy one of those, but did not, for I had about 4 more weeks to travel and did not want to lug that around with me. I was to come back to Delhi at the end of the trip anyways, so I thought I might just take a picture of the great scene and purchase the quilt later, if i have money left. So, the pictures.-- the framing is perfect, and I am still, happy with them. Not just the natural feeling of the picture that captures the women at work, but the overall colors that pop so vibrantly. The quilt is such a nice background, and the ladies are themselves, so pretty in their colorful clothing. I love the colors of their clothes blending in with the quilts. So picturesque, so wonderful. But see, the "picturesque" part bothers me. The picturesque. I had reduced these people to a picture. I had framed it so that I did not have to see the messy streets on which these vendors were set up. I composed it so that when I see the picture, I would see first, (and I say first here, because although the picture does not include the streets, I still remember the streets I cut out!) the beauty of the objects I chose to include in the frame.

And I had not gotten the permission to take these pictures. The digital camera was small, and I am good at taking pictures without being noticed. Zoom in, and crop out. That's how I did this. Without any guilt. With a certain enjoyment of having control, come to think of it. It was not done maliciously, but as a budding postcolonialist, I now ponder on such matters whenever I look at my pictures from my trips abroad, especially this trip to India. I have lots of such pictures, and I will be posting some of them, but with an awareness-- I confess here. When I go abroad, I am no better than the writers I often accuse of being Orientalists.

When and if I go to India again, I can't promise not to take such pictures again. I really love the color schemes of the cities there, and I can't take pictures without people in them. So, here is a problem that I can't quite solve.

2013. 2. 3

댓글 3개:

  1. 그럼 그림은 어떻게 생각해? 요즘은 사진찍는 사람들 대신 그림을 그리는 사람도 많은 것 같은데, 사진에 비해 그림은 좀 덜 공격적으로 받아들여지는 것 같거든. 아마도 그림은 사진보다 시간이 더 걸리고 좀더 '정성스럽'고 기계의 힘을 빌려서 하는 것이기 때문인지 더 좋아하는 사람도 생기곤 하더라고.

    '외국'사진에 대한 오리엔탈리즘을 이야기하자면 '외국'여행이란 행위 자체가 오리엔탈리즘에 입각해 있음을 이야기해야 할 것 같은데, 나는 여행은 색다른 타자를 만나는 데에 매력이 있는 것 같아서, 그런데 타자를 만나는 행위가 반드시 그들을 타자화시키는 건 아니잖아? 처음 보는 광경들은 늘 보는 광경보다 더 자극적이고 흥미롭고 그만큼 매력적이니까, 사진 역시 그 매력적인 장면들을 담아오는, 여행에 부수적으로 따르는 행위 같다는 생각이 들거든. 그림 역시 마찬가지고, 여행기 역시 마찬가지겠지. 다만 앞서 말한대로 사진이 그림이나 여행기보다 작가의 노력이 덜 보이는 면이 있어서 (하지만 난 사진을 정말 못찍는기 때문에 사진가의 노력이 더 대단해보이긴 해) 좀더 과대비판되고 있는 게 아닐까 싶기도 해.

    그러니까 결국 다 결과물을 보고 이야기해야 한다는 거지. 무엇을 찍든, 무엇을 그리든, 무엇을 쓰든 그건 다 작가의 취사선택이 들어가는 거니까 "선택해서 오려낸 부분"을 들고 얘기해야지 선택하는 행위 자체를 뭐라고 할수는 없을 것 같아. 즉 그 색다른 여행 속에서 무엇을 발견했고 무엇이 내 셔터, 내 붓을, 내 펜을 움직이게 했는가를 보고 작가의 오리엔탈리즘을 따져야 하지 않을까 하는 생각.

    그래서 안예쁜 부분을 버리고 예쁜 부분만 찍은 너의 행위는... 안예쁜 부분이 무엇이었는지에 따라 다르겠지만, 대부분은 오리엔탈리즘이 아니라 탐미주의가 아닐까 하는 나의 뻘소리였음.

    영어로 쓰고 싶지만 난 영어가 안돼 흑흑흑

    답글삭제
    답글
    1. 안 예쁜 부분은 너저분한 거리들이었지 뭐. 코넛플레이스 지금은 많이 멋져졌다던데 깨끗해지고. 근데 저 사진 찍었을땐 씹는 담배 때문에 빨갛게 물든 벽에 거리에 굉장히 지저분했었던듯. 그걸 안담은거고, 여하튼 저 장사하는 사람들의 현실인데 네 말대로 "예쁜 사진"을 찍고싶었기 때문에. 근데 말 되는데? 오리엔탈리스트가 아니고 탐미주의자. 오홍!내 셔터를 움직이는건 역시 예쁜 것..인건가!그런것 같네...근데 공부를 할수록 예쁜걸 잔뜩 기억하려고 담고 찍었던 행위 자체가 어떤 의미였는지를 반성하게 된달까. :) 인도 가서 멋진 경험 하고 와욤. 네 포스팅 기다리고 있겠다.

      삭제
  2. '외국'여행이란 행위 자체가 오리엔탈리즘에 입각해 있음을 => 입각해 있는지를

    답글삭제