2013년 3월 1일 금요일

introducing one of my favorite illustrators, Hajin Bae:)

 Once upon a time, when I was young (or, younger), I wanted to become an artist. And like I said once sometime, my high school art teacher (who was a tad bit crazy) told me that I should. But my parents said no (and I was an obedient child who didn't really like making trouble), so that was that. I did take a few art classes while in Iowa (as an exchange student, in a tiny community college that was so lovely), and the professor (she taught the course on Drawing) said that I should keep that artistic desire alive even when I do something else in life, for it is a virtue one should cherish. I wonder if it is still alive. And another professor who taught a course on painting, told me that perhaps because I didn't have formal training, I tend to be very "brave" when painting-- I don't hesitate to use crazy colors, or crazy streaks in my paintings, he said. I actually painted a huge acrylic painting of a room in that course, and the painting is still hanging our dining room back home. More about that later though, because this posting is not about me, but an illustrator I met online!



This is one of my favorite works of Hajin Bae, the illustrator. :)
Apart from Kyungshin Hwang (another Korean illustrator), she is actually the second illustrator I've come to love. I guess it's because I didn't have many chances to come across such illustrations-- we do see them in books, or on book covers, but unless you look really closely, or unless you seek them out, it's hard to know who illustrates what. Right? Or am I just not familiar with the field? Anyway, so. How beautiful is that? This is the perfect night sky I could imagine. If I were a poet, I would have written something below it. But the only thing I can say is, that it reminds me of the sky I saw in Iowa, Mt. Vernon. One night, I was out on a stroll with my friend around 2-3 am, after I had finally finished reading for class. The town being not so lit up (with artificial lights), I could see so many stars. So many, just soooo many! As if they would just start showering down on us. 
 Here is another of my favorite illustrations. The crying while smoking, or more likely, smoking while crying goldfish just strikes me. It's a fabulous image. I can't even explain why I like this. I would love to have this hanging on my wall.


And...and...I'm speechless!
Doesn't this remind you of that night, when you and your beloved walked the streets of a busy city at night, but had the entire city to yourselves? The blinking lights that could be annoying to the eyes when alone, would become like candles lit just for you, if you are so-in-the moment, so in (I can't avoid this cliche) love. I miss the night streets in Seoul. And how it is so brilliantly busy but poetic.

 Ah.......!!!
After I stopped wanting to be a painter, I took up photography. (and I talk about photography often in this blog, I KNOW) And I used to go crazy when I met a scene with a nice old door. I don't know why, but doors with paint peeling off just fascinated me. Perhaps it was that passing of time engraved in the peeling door that made me love it so much. Or just the colors seeping out, and how the rust and the remaining paint would work perfectly in tune with one another. I should post some pictures of doors I took sometime...but hey, here's an illustration of the door, and the time that passes.

See how the couple is kind of transparent on the top illustration? Doesn't that give you that dreamy feeling? It's like the little cozy scene is actually remembering the couple. Who knows? Maybe it is a scene remembered by that door. Maybe that couple broke up. Maybe they now live together behind that door, in the house.


The last one that I introduce to you guys today.
I looooove the simplicity of the raindrops and the girl. And that old grandfather's clock! Tell me a story. What story do you dream up of, when you see this?

:) Just yesterday, I actually got her illustration sent from back home. A friend (dear Audrey) purchased it for me, and sent it along with snacks and other stuff I can get only back home-- and she made my day. I plan to have the illustration framed (although in a not-very-pricey-Walmart-kind-of-frame), and when I do, you guys will see that special illustration here as well.

3. 1. 2013

댓글 2개:

  1. oh I love her illustrations tooooo~~ >w< so dreamy and surreal, especially the ones you put here, but I also love her portrait illustrations, as I myself do love to draw hair too haha...

    답글삭제
    답글
    1. Oh, right! The portraits are fantastic as well-- that'll be in my next posting (which I'll write in a couple of days!) :)

      삭제